Customs Licensing – Clearing Agents

Did you know… A Customs Clearing Agents license allows you to process Customs clearance declarations on behalf of an importer or exporter of goods?

One does not need a Deferment Facility. An alternative is to pay SARS in Cash or via EFT when processing entries.

General Requirements

The payment procedure for Cash or EFT is fairly simple. It involves obtaining a PRN (Payment Reference Number) in order to pay the duties and VAT to Customs.

While having a registered company at the CIPC is a requirement, you do not need to be registered for VAT. You do need to be registered for income tax purposes.

Naturally you will need the services of an IT Software Provider. They will help you to process Customs clearance declarations which become linked to the SARS entry system.

Holding a Clearing Agents license is not as complex as you might imagine.

Many Importers and Exporters are also registered Clearing Agents. They Customs clear their own goods.

Please Contact us for advice or a quotation.

Customs Clearing Agents vs Forwarding License

Customs Clearing Agents are required to license with SARS.

Freight Forwarders do not need to license with SARS. Those who cut their own House Air Waybills must be registered with FIATA.

Customs Licensing – Bond Stores

Did you know… Customs Bond Stores are part of a Government dispensation to help your company improve its cash flow and to save money?

This benefit can be attained over a period of two years from importation. In addition, you can extend this period when combined with similar Government dispensations.

Types of Bond Stores

The Two Broad Categories of Bond Stores Include:

  1. OS (Operating Store) – a standard Bond store for the storage of goods.
  2. SOS (Special Operating Store) – a special Bond Store for the storage of goods for specific or special circumstances.

Customs duties and VAT may be deferred for a period of up to two years in a Bond Store. Thereafter, one is obligated to clear the goods Ex Bond and pay the duties and VAT.

Numerous other Ex Bond options are available such as Rebating, Change of Ownership and Re-Exportation of goods.

Public and Private Stores

The new Customs legislation makes a clear distinction between Bond Stores which are intended for “Private” use, and those which are intended for “Public” use.

  1. Private Bond Stores: These are used by importers who own their own Bond Store not for other parties.
  2. Public Bond Stores: These are owned by Customs Clearing Agents, Customs Licensed Depots and the like. They are intended to be open to all clients.

The Customs Hub specialises in Bond Store applications, as well as applications for Surety Bonds.

We help our clients with Surety Bond calculations. Importantly we are able to obtain client data directly from SARS for this purpose.

Please Contact us for advice or a quotation.